Shureimon at the entrance of Shuri Castle Park is often used as the symbol of Okinawa. This gate was build during the reign on King Sho Shin in the 16th century.
Visitors throughout history have passed through this gate including the Chinese envoys and Commodore Matthew Perry. The gate was destroyed during World War II and rebuilt in 1958. Originally called Taikenmon with the plaque bearing the inscription "Shuri". King Sho Ei change the inscription to read "Shurei no Kuni" which mean " land of courtesy" or "nation of propriety".